Thursday, July 12, 2007

Day 51

Last night it started to get super windy. The wind was howling. It continued through the night. After checking the weather this morning we decided not to cross the sea today. In fact, it looks like we might be here in Santa Maria di Leuca for awhile. We will have to keep watching the weather.

We visited the tourist office again to get more information on bus schedules, internet cafes, and local sights. We decided to walk around town and explore. We found signs pointing to a grotto. We tried to follow the signs and eventually came to a beautiful point on the coast.







Then we noticed a big hole in the ground.



We hiked on down





and found that it opened up to the sea!



Later Juliann, Lindsay, and I climbed the stairs



to this lighthouse.



The Basilica di Santa Maria di Leuca was also at the top.





We had a gorgeous view of where the Adriatic and Ionian Seas meet.





We went into town for dinner again tonight. We found a delicious little trattoria that looked like someone's real kitchen.

12 comments:

Steph said...

FYI...still insanely jealous.

how awesome that you found that cave that led to the water; too bad the caves at kirby cove weren't that cool. :)

Jane said...

Hello! Somehow I managed to find your blog through various links and was attracted to it straight away! I have been enjoying your daily entries and revisiting through your photos some of the places I have been to too! Please keep posting! You will love Greece! Kefallonia is beautiful, as is Zakynthos and a little island above them called Paxi (or Paxos it's sometimes referred to). You must try and get to Croatia too...amazing! Enjoy!

TamiRichins said...

Hi!! I also just found your blog. I think I am little more than insanely jealous. Sounds like you guys are having a blast!!! Keep posting so I can continue to live vicariously through you guys. Miss you tons. We are heading to D-town next week, I am sorry we are going to miss you. Tami (Brandi) Richins

jessica said...

Lindsay, I can’t believe I missed your phone call the other day.... I was so sad, but it was great to hear from you. Your pictures just keep getting more and more incredible. I can’t wait to see Greece! I miss you guys, be careful.

Bell said...

HI Girls
I can't believe your adventures are on the internet. It sure looks like the amazing race to me. So famous you are infamous. T3A
Joanna

Amy said...

Becca! The photos are making me crazy jealous! I can't wait to read more about your trip and hear about it when you get back! Be safe, have fun, see you soon! Amy C

Marie said...

Are you still alive? I'm having withdrawals and can't wait for the next installment. Love ya!

JD & Amanda said...

Hey Ya'll, So I'm just checking to see if you've run into a friend of mine over there named Amanda. If you have, tell her I said hi and thanks for the cards. I'll keep them in mind during my time in the kitchen this week! Oh, and the pictures look amazing, I can't wait until the next update.

Skeezix the Cat said...

The grotto made my Food Lady drool with jellusy.

Cood yoo pleeze let Juliann know that as of 3:45 today, every singul one of "the gerls" is free of the hell that was HomeGain.

Unknown said...

amazing. please can i come visit you???

downtown kelly browne

Rain in My Head said...

Okay ladies. . you really need a new post. I can't keep reading the same old Day 51! :) Love hearing about your adventures!!

Laraine said...

Are you still alive? I really need to know!